The Joys of Motherhood....
My kids still talk to me. I consider that a good thing - and an ongoing privilege. My sons are both in their thirties (shhhh, don't tell anyone, 'cause too many people can do math!) and they live their lives fairly openly. They love to have philosophical discussions - especially with each other - and they will challenge me, others and certainly themselves about any behaviours that are inconsistent with spoken beliefs.
There is never a dull moment when they visit and we get going on some great topic. I have to keep my wits about me in order keep up to what may easily become a debate about abstracts where the ideas flit from one's mind as quickly as a new one enters.
My sons are wonderful blends (though still very different from each other) of their parents. I think they took mostly the good stuff from their Dad and me. Though I know they have their personal challenges. They are both working through one each right now (at least). And they called me to talk about that. How blessed am I?
There is never a dull moment when they visit and we get going on some great topic. I have to keep my wits about me in order keep up to what may easily become a debate about abstracts where the ideas flit from one's mind as quickly as a new one enters.
My sons are wonderful blends (though still very different from each other) of their parents. I think they took mostly the good stuff from their Dad and me. Though I know they have their personal challenges. They are both working through one each right now (at least). And they called me to talk about that. How blessed am I?

4 Comments:
At 9:39 p.m.,
Paul Keetch said…
Umm... Just one?
:)
/pk
At 9:45 p.m.,
Jon White said…
How blessed are THEY!?
At 7:55 p.m.,
Paul Keetch said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 7:57 p.m.,
Paul Keetch said…
Good point Jon.
I must say, I feel as though I've gotten the best of each of my parents' personalities, generally speaking. I attribute that as much to them as to myself. I have had to discern for myself which attributes I want to bring forth into my own life, but their relative transparency in sharing failures as well as their successes have helped me to make those choices.
There are, I know, some unconscious traits that I learned as a child that have made their way into my own blueprint, toolbox, filefolder, or whatever other name you'd like to give it. But I take full responsibility for those ones. They are, after all, traveling on my bus, which means that, at some point, I invited them on-board. But, as we well know, the direction of my bus, in particular, is apt to change on a dime. Warning not included.
/pk
Post a Comment
<< Home